Welcome to Junior High Language Arts and French Classes!
Junior high language arts classes across all levels focus on improving both written and oral communication skills through a myriad of activities.
- Students at all levels write extensively, inside and outside of the classroom, both formal papers and informal responses.
- Students develop a portfolio of writing done within their junior high years, including classroom pieces and portfolio pieces done outside of class.
- Students study vocabulary and grammar pertaining to writing and reading.
- Students participate in Writers' Workshop to study the strategies of excellent writers.
- Students of all grades participate in literature circles, or student-lead book clubs.
- Students read a variety of literature, including novels, plays, short stories, and poetry.
- Sixth grade students read (specifically, but not exclusively): The Cay; The Miracle Worker; and Catherine, Called Birdy.
- Seventh grade students read(specifically, but not exclusively): Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry; Good Night Mr, Tom; and A Wrinkle in Time.
- Eighth grade students read(specifically, but not exclusively): The Outsiders; To Kill a Mockingbird; and Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Through our junior high French classes, students will develop a better understanding of French language and culture.
- Students will become familiar with vocabulary and syntax.
- Students will learn to communicate using basic French.
- Students will study various French customs.